Changes to the Combate Americas 8 card resulted in late replacement John Castaneda defeating Angel Cruz while the much-anticipated original co-main event between Kyra Batara and Lisa Ellis was scrapped. Combate Americas 8 took place August 11th at the Exchange in Los Angeles, CA with a main card webcast at UFC Fight Pass.
Angel Cruz’s strategy was based on using his jab while Castaneda tried to use his wrestling to take the fight to the mat. Cruz took round 1 despite slipping and falling off a kick that gave Castaneda the takedown without effort. Cruz again ended up on the ground in round 2 with Castaneda this time using his strength to control position until taking the mount and firing off punches for the TKO.
In the co-main event of the UFC Fight Pass webcast Danny Martinez defeated Benjamin Vinson with Martinez also taking the fight on short notice. For three rounds Martinez used his wrestling to take down and control Vinson earning 30-27 scorecards from all three judges. Martinez now stands 20-7, Vinson fell to 8-4.
Main card results
- Albert Tapia def. Jonathan Santa Maria by majority decision
- Benji Gomez def. Heinrich Wassmer by split decision
- Daniel Rodriguez def. Hector Saldana 3:45 R1 by arm-triangle choke
- Hakob Ter-Petrosyan def. George Hernandez R2 by TKO
- Danny Martinez def. Benjamin Vinson by unanimous decision
- John Castaneda def. Angel Cruz 2:25 R2 by TKO